Thought of the Week

19th Dec 2011

"A laugh, to be joyous, must flow from a joyous heart,
for without kindness, there can be no true joy."
- Thomas Carlyle


Saturday, February 20, 2010

The African Adventure


29th July 2009 to 15th August 2009
Swaziland, South Africa and Mozambique, Africa

A childhood dream realised! Very much thanks to the invitation of Bheki Metfula who is the National Programme Commissioner of Swaziland for the Thirst for Life Expo 2009, and of course SSA. Also thanks to my dear friend Manga for his hospitality during the trip.

My mission was to join in the camp both as a staff and participant. I was there to help Bheki promote the Scouts of the World Award (SWA). I met this kind gentleman during the World Scout Conference in Korea after I finished my presentation about Singapore SWA programme to the conference plenary. We had a great chat over lunch and he sounded the idea of the invitation and that's how it came about.

At the camp, other than the main contingent of 60 odd UK Scouts, the rest were made up of Scouts from all over the South African region. An amazing time is an understatement! The late night (or wee hours) jokes/games/pranks, the mini-bus rides to the orphanages and schools, the short trips to nearby scenic places, the great (and some funny) fellow Scouts met, all the construction and playing - absolutely incredible! 

Swazi Montage

We spent most of our time in Swaziland helping to develop the campsite and interacting with the kids, but we also did a couple of overnight 'field trips' to South Africa for the safari tour and Mozambique (never would I thought I would be there...) for some historical sites visit. The whole African adventure was one of the most laid back, primitive and slow-paced life I ever experienced and I still crave for more till today. Perhaps, I shall return someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment