Thought of the Week

19th Dec 2011

"A laugh, to be joyous, must flow from a joyous heart,
for without kindness, there can be no true joy."
- Thomas Carlyle


Wednesday, June 16, 2010

All Aboard!


All aboard! Cause I'll be on board the Fuji Maru from 25th Oct to 16th Dec 2010.


On the Sunday night of 13th June, I was rushing to finish a document before heading to birdpark for an overnight camp assignment the next day. While working, suddenly my gmail showed Inbox (1) just 10 mins before 12 midnight. I thought it was another facebook update so decided to take a look at it. To my delight, the titled spelled 'Notification of Successful Selection to Participate in the 37th Ship for Southeast Asian Youth Programme (SSEAYP) 2010'.

Finally! After 3 weeks of agonizing wait, I got the best news I've in quite a while! I'm one of 28 youths representing Singapore for SSEAYP!

Previously in my one year anniversary post, I've mentioned about being turned down for both the regional job and summer programme in KISC. I guess it might have been a sign - one that asked me to apply for SSEAYP which I did. And I'm more than happy that I did that. Since I'm not getting any younger, I'm now set to go on another journey in my life that will never be forgotten. What a good way to wrap up 2010!

The ship will be sailing around ASEAN for 52 days and will be making portcalls in Tokyo (Japan), Jakarta (Indonesia), Port Klang (Malaysia), Bangkok (Thailand), Ho Chi Minh (Vietnam) and Singapore! The ship will be in Singapore from 30th Nov to 3rd Dec 2010. Sadly, I had to leave just one day before the start of the ASEAN Jamboree organised by my Scout Association... guess at least I've time to see to that the Global Development Village is all in place.

As part of the programme, I need to find some host families for foreign youths during the portcall in Singapore. The simple programme is as below:
1st Dec 2010 (evening) - Host family will meet foreign youth and then host for dinner and home.
2nd Dec 2010 (full day) - Host family will arrange their own programme for foreign youth
3rd Dec 2010 (morning) - Host family will send foreign youth back to ship and get a chance to board the ship for an Open House!

The host programme is voluntary and there's no remuneration. Should be able to provide meals, accomodation and programme for at least 2 (up to 4 or more) foreign youths. If anyone is interested, please let me know (ivantsj@gmail.com) so I can send you more details.

Thanks and hopefully looking forward to positive response! Cheerios!

No comments:

Post a Comment