Thought of the Week

19th Dec 2011

"A laugh, to be joyous, must flow from a joyous heart,
for without kindness, there can be no true joy."
- Thomas Carlyle


Wednesday, June 2, 2010

One Year Anniversary of the New Chapter


31st May 2010 marks exactly a year since I left my full-time job as the Education and Public Relations Officer at the Raffles Museum of Biodiversity Research. Not that I hate the job, but rather I'm a sucker for freedom and adventure and travel. Since it's an old story of why I left my job, I will let the 'Historical Rambling' tab above tell the story.

I was counting down about a week or so back for this day, but lost track of it. It smacked me right in my head today while catching up with my ex-colleagues at the Museum after I did the guiding session. It is rather unbelievable even to myself that I survived a year without a full-time job. Very much thanks to the Museum, Jurong Birdpark and Singapore Zoo that hires me on a free-lance assignment basis. But of course, the pay can't be compared. On a good month, I may get close to half of my previous pay, but more often than not - just a quarter of it. So yes, I'm looking for more assignments related to those jobs above. Do let me know if you have any contacts.

The past year has been eventful I must say - a journey with ups and downs.

First off my mind, I've led two Youth Expedition Projects (YEPs) and with another coming up this June. Quite a feat to accomplish three YEPs in just over a year. Other than that, thanks to my involvement in the regional and international Scouting scene, I've been traveling a fair bit on a mission to promote the Scouts of the World Award. I've also signed up for Ship for South East Asia Youth Programme (SSEAYP) most recently and I'm now waiting for the final selection results. If I'm selected, I'll be meeting many other youths around Southeast Asia and sail around ASEAN for 52 days towards end of the year. Really crossing my fingers that I will get in for I had my fair share of misses during the year.

Unfortunately, both misses I had came right one after another, and I've to admit that I was feeling rather down for a period of time. I was passed for the the three months volunteer summer programme at the Kandersteg International Scout Centre (KISC) as a pinkie (that's what they call the staff there as the official attire is pink). No idea when I'll make the decision to go there again. Right after this, I was bettered by another fellow Scout for the staff position in the Asia-Pacific Regional Office, something that would have change my life and perhaps begin my second chapter. Now I'm still searching for the start of my second chapter - seems like I'm going to be stuck at the new chapter for quite a while still... This is when a common quote of mine comes in - 'Such is life.'.

Nevertheless, I'm still enjoying myself, especially at the birdpark and zoo. Doing job assignments with the education department is lots of fun and the sharing of knowledge and interactions with kids is always enriching. Yes, I've to agree that some kids are just pesky but hey, they are still kids after all. Just an after-grumble with the rest of the staff rids everything. Now I dare to say I'm even more able to handle kids (and adults!) of almost all ages and get their attention (well... most of them...). Be it pre-schoolers, primary, secondary, college, corporate staff, and even the intellectually challenged (my favourite group as they are so endearing and innocent - something that reality has stripped us all of), I'm always up to the challenge.

Well, what's ahead for me is still uncertain. If I do get selected for SSEAYP, that would probably settle me for the rest of 2010 as preparation will be intensified in July after I return from my YEP, right up till September. And the ship set sails in October till December. 

2011 - that's what I'm clueless about. When I left my job a year back, I told myself that I'll set back to reality mode in 2011. Now that I've tasted the greener grass on the other side, I'm reluctant to return. However, I do have to consider earning enough to save up for the future. People have been complaining about me not being hitched, and some even attempted to matchmake (you know who you are...). Hey, I'm a sucker for freedom - at least for now. I would also like to further my studies but of course I've to save up first. And the most important question, a full-time job. Is that going to happen?

I'm not too sure about that last question, but I'm certain of something. If I do have enough savings, I do want to serve in the International Service Team for the World Scout Jamboree in Sweden next July. Who knows I might try to apply as a pinkie for the autumn period after the jamboree as well. Then I would get to accomplish my dream to travel around Europe for a month or so in between, and also to fulfill the promises I made to some friends that I'll visit them. If I ever get to do this, I'm definitely more than happy and I'll probably be much more ready to return back to reality.

Well... being someone who hates multi-tasking, I shall get over my upcoming YEP first before I focus on deciding anything else. And for now, time to hit the sack.

Cheerios!
SJ
"Live and breathe your passion, for it feeds your mind and soul."

No comments:

Post a Comment