Thought of the Week

19th Dec 2011

"A laugh, to be joyous, must flow from a joyous heart,
for without kindness, there can be no true joy."
- Thomas Carlyle


Thursday, January 6, 2011

SSEAYP Pre Departure


July to October 2010

It's been a long long time since I last updated this blog. No thanks to SSEAYP. Plus I doubt I want to keep updating after every SSEAYP activity so I decided that I'll do it all in one shot when I return. Finally have the motivation to sit down and go through all the photos, select a freaking small number out of perhaps a thousand over photos, photoshop them, upload them etc. You get the drift. But nevertheless, here it is.

By the time you get to the end of this post, I would have lost about 8kg. Yes... that's the effect SSEAYP had on me. Not sure whether it is the busy schedule, extra stuff to handle or what.

Anyway here's what had been going on in my life from July till Oct. (Apologies for turning away any appointments/ meetings/ gatherings... I'm back and I promise to make it up.)

Post Departure Training

The application for SSEAYP started around March/ April if I'm not wrong. The selection then started in June with a panel group interview (I was with Dayanaa, Sherry and Jed). Soon after I was notified for a final round of selection and it was a full day of team building exercises. That's the first day that we met everyone in the Singapore contingent (except Sin Yan who couldn't attend that day and yet made the team! And it was our blessing that she made it!). Sadly only 28 could make it and we had to lose some nice people...

Fast forward one month later, the team was finalized and the nightmare started. Every Tuesday and Thursday nights were gone. Every Saturday and Sunday too. So were our personal and family life. All these for talks on media, culture and all sorts, SIS events, training and rehearsals for Post Departure Concert, on board and port of calls performances.

Despite all the shit... oops... I mean stuff that we have to deal with, SPYs (Singapore Participating Youths) eventually have our own way to have fun. Although sessions may end late, but yet we would head out shopping or to have supper and enjoy each others' company.

Soon enough, the vigorous two months training came to a close and the concert drew close.

Post Departure Concert

Of course everyone was excited about performing in front of our friends and family. Two bloody months of effort ain't just gonna go down the drain for sure. Plus we can never let down all our choreographers who spent their precious time with us, and not asking anything from us in return except a great performance.

And we did just that! We went out, had fun, laugh around and showed the audience what SPYs can do. And of course, we had a blast and a celebration after that! It was finally over! So we thought... cause the journey has yet to start, but of course that's another story!

Throughout the time spent with the contingent, I had close ties with a small group of people and this is the group that supported each other when we needed help or advice or just someone to chat with.

So here's a small tribute to my Discussion Committee! Never knew we took so many DC shots and this is before the trip! I'm sure there are more!

DC Tribute

Kudos DC!

PS: All photos here are either my own or belong to someone else in the contingent or SIS. Please do not reproduce without permission. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment