Thought of the Week

19th Dec 2011

"A laugh, to be joyous, must flow from a joyous heart,
for without kindness, there can be no true joy."
- Thomas Carlyle


Sunday, March 14, 2010

YEP A.ten.tion!


13th March 2010
*Scape Youth Park

Ten years! Can't believe it's been around for that long. Youth Expedition Project (YEP) is now ten years old! Since the programme started in 2000, 19,000 youths have gone on 900 expeditions all around ASEAN, China and India!

Having experienced my first YEP as a participant in December 2003, I eventually returned in June 2007 to lead my first YEP under The Singapore Scout Association and that was how Project Sirius - Rovering with Rhinos was born. It was highlighted by the YEP as an example of environmental/conservation project. In June 2009, after pursuing it for almost 3 years, finally got WWF Malaysia as a partner and Project Orion - Rovering with Turtles happened. Yet again, it was featured as an environmental/conservation project by YEP. It was also featured in Strait Times on 1st August 2009. The latest addition was my 4th YEP - Project Sikkim, just only in December 2009.

With my experience and contacts in the environmental and conservation field, I was asked some time back by YEP to help them out as a mentor for other interested leaders-to-be. That's how I got involved in their Leadership Mentoring Programme besides being a YEP Alumni. Plus I always enjoy my time with the crazy bunch of YEP staff whenever there's an event or programme.

YEP 10th Anniversary

Tonight, Dr. Vivian Balakrishnan, Minister for Community Development, Youth and Sports, was the Guest-of-Honour. The evening was filled with wonderful performances, amazing videos created by YEP participants, digital montage of the 10 hours service marathon, and an extensive exhibition by YEP and several VWOs. And of course, it was a good time to catch up with old friends and also make new ones.

It's been awhile since I visited the *Scape Youth Park and the staff, so it was great to have an opportunity to do so. Plus they had a new intern and apparently she knew me before we even meet... haha... guess my projects have been publicising for me quite a bit. All in all, the event was a great success once again! Kudos to the YEP team! I'll be waiting for the next event so don't keep me waiting!!

No comments:

Post a Comment