Thought of the Week

19th Dec 2011

"A laugh, to be joyous, must flow from a joyous heart,
for without kindness, there can be no true joy."
- Thomas Carlyle


Thursday, April 1, 2010

Ups and Downs of Life


15th March 2010 to 18th March 2010
Manila, Philippines

Well, it's about time. Many of you wouldn't have known about this trip as I have only told a few. Secretly went in and out of Singapore for that few days.

Some time back, the Asia-Pacific Regional (APR) Scout Office in Manila opened up a position for a Development Support Officer. The position consists of a dual scope - regional role of assisting with the development of regional National Scout Organisations (NSOs) and international role of overseeing the environmental programme globally (which was decentralised from Geneva's main office). I got to know about the job through Syd Castillo, Rod Abson (who previously was the unit manager for the environmental programme) and a few others. With their encouragement, I eventually applied for the job and to my surprise I got short-listed. This was why I made the trip to Philippines for the interview.

However as some of you would have already found out from the recent APR inBox newsletter, they have found a suitable candidate for the position. Sadly, even with my involvement in the Scouts of the World Award and World Scout Environmental Badge programme and my knowledge of the region, I didn't manage to get the job. Perhaps the Scouter from Algeria bettered me in experience or some other areas. To be honest, I was definitely a little disappointed.

I guess the beginning of another new chapter in my life has to wait. Could it be a sign for me to take up one of the jobs that have been offered to me all this while? The position in the education department of the birdpark seems the most ideal. Been working part-time with them since last October and have been enjoying it. Nevertheless, my plans for the year have to be changed. Got turned down by Kandersteg International Scout Centre for summer volunteer programme (but offered autumn) so I guess I won't be able to visit my friends in Europe for now. Maybe I should take up the Southeast Asia (SEA) Youth Ship programme and go sailing for two months at the end of the year. Conquer SEA before Europe. Hahaha!!

In this case, only time will tell. As one of my principles go, 'Let Nature takes it course.'

Well, enough of the downs. Of course there's the ups! The trip to Manila was great. Thanks to the warm hospitality of fellow Scouters from Philippines! Met some old friends and made some new ones.

One interesting moment was when I arrived at the APR office for the interview. The moment I saw Arjay, I sort of shouted her name. Immediately, I was hushed. I had to 'pretend' that I didn't know anyone in the office, so I shut up and quietly waited. Once my interview was over, it was a different scene. Syd, Thian, Arjay and I were all happily chatting at the reception area. Hehe...

Philippines_1

I was then waiting for Maui, a fellow Scout I met during the World Scout Youth Forum in Korea. He had kindly offered to host me during my stay. Along with him, I met a couple of new friends - Charls and Wigz who are the members of the Ten Outstanding Boy Scouts of the Philippines Association (TOBSPA). That day after my interview, they brought me out to enjoy Makati City and beyond. And I mean really beyond. I think they drove quite a long way out of town (about one and half hours) just for dinner at Tagaytay. Wonderful place and fantastic Filipino cuisine. Too bad it was night time, otherwise could have seen the volcano. Yes, we were dining near a crater of a volcano. Cool eh? The night ended off with a few rounds of beer. Well... not exactly beer. Think it was some sort of 'healthy ' beer that has 7% alcohol content and taste nothing like beer. Better in fact! So next time anyone drops by Philippines, ask for GPS (mind you, not the road directing machine).

Philippines_2

The next day, Maui kindly offered to pick me up from the hotel and get me transferred to Boy Scouts of Philippines's (BSP) HQ where I stayed for my last night. In the afternoon, Bruce (another friend of mine whom I met back in 2007 during the APR Scout Youth Forum) hosted me instead as Maui had to run some errands. Had a great time catching up with Bruce as it's been a long long time. We sort of clicked and hanged out quite a fair bit during the forum back then as we were 'neighbours'. Soon night came, and Maui once again brought me out for dinner - good pizza and another few rounds of beer. Time was too short!

Philippines_3

After the night's out and returning back again past midnight, I found my dorm mate sound in bed - not! Another fellow Scouter that I met during the APR Scout Youth Forum just last October in Kuala Lumper - Andy Chung from Korea. He has been volunteering in the APR office for almost six months! To avoid waking the others up, he dragged himself out of bed and we headed outside the dorm for a great chat. Shared a lot of ideas and experiences. In fact, I got a few pointers from him. Haha... guess will see him volunteering somewhere again some day.

I had to catch my flight back home the next morning and Syd kindly came to pick me up to the airport but not before giving me a treat to breakfast. Not often that we had chance to sit down over a meal and chatted heartily. We always meet at forums or conferences. Well, okay - we do fool around a bit every time we meet. But hey, that's the fun of it! I'm hoping that I will get the chance to return back to Philippines again some day. And I forgot to mention that it was actually my first trip there. Haha.

I would like to take the opportunity to thank Syd Castillo, Rod Abson, Andres Morales and Arjay Cameros for their encouragement, support and advice given to me during the period of my job application and also after. It's a pity and disappointment that I didn't make it but definitely learnt a lot more from you all. Another time perhaps. You never know what will happen, for it might be a blessing in disguise. As BP says that life is like a canoe trip and you will face obstacles in your way. Only you can over come them so paddle your own canoe!

2 comments:

  1. well at least u've tried ur best :D and i believe it was a good learning experience nonetheless. perhaps there is smth even more exciting awaiting somewhere for u to pick it up ;) it is just not the time for the job now.

    -violet-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Despite it being a great opportunity lost, I just have to look forward and dream of something bigger. Who knows something may cross my path once again.

    Cheers! SJ

    ReplyDelete